e-admissions in schools and institutions od higher education: KING ICT is proudly part of that success
• This year, an integrated system of e-admissions was available to more than 80,000 students in primary and secondary schools, secondary-school graduates and prospective students
• The e-admissions system has confirmed its value at all levels as one of the most important and elaborate projects in the Croatian educational system
• In collaboration with partners, the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing and the Croatian Academic and Research Network CARNet, KING ICT has made a significant contribution to the digitalization of the Croatian educational system through three projects: eMatica (a database of primary and secondary educational institutions, employees, students, programs and activities), the National Information System for Admissions to Higher Education Institutions and the Information System for Applications and Admissions to Secondary Schools
KING ICT has been working on IT projects in education for a number of years. A team of ten experts, who are holders of numerous certificates, develop high-tech solutions for the computerization of education.
The latest result of successful work and collaboration with partners is the e-Admissions - the Information System for Applications and Admissions to Secondary Schools.
e-Admissions to secondary schools
This year, more than 45,000 students went through the enrolment process for secondary school, for the first time carried out using the information system e-Admissions.
Sitting in front of a computer, students could choose a certain number of educational programs in selected schools, rank them according to their priorities, check their placement on temporary lists and find out about the outcome of their application at the end of the admission process. They went through the whole process without visiting schools, waiting in lines or additional administrative procedures.
The benefits of this system were not felt only by students, but by the teachers as well. Thanks to the synchronization of data on students from eMatica, this year teachers did not have to spend time organizing documentation. In addition, it was beneficial to the Ministry of Science, Education and Sports, which got another simple and transparent admissions system.
The Information System for Applications and Admissions to Secondary Schools, e-Admissions, was developed by KING ICT in collaboration with partners, in accordance with the model and experiences of the National Information System for Admissions to Higher Education Institutions, which has been in use for four years.
The system was developed using Microsoft technologies. Since the system for admission to secondary schools uses the same software and hardware platforms as the system for admission to higher education, we have developed a verified, fully functional system in just six months and with minimal investment.
Accuracy, transparency and speed of registration have been achieved by synchronizing data on the entire generation of students finishing primary school from eMatica with the database of e-Admissions.
The Minister of Science, Education and Sports Željko Jovanović said: "I am proud, joyful and happy to present the results of one of the most elaborate projects of this Ministry, and perhaps of all the ministries of education so far. e-Admissions has enabled something that used to seem like divination and crystal-ball gazing. This system has enabled transparent admission to secondary schools.” The Minister added that e-Admissions is the innovative system that will lead Croatia to the top of European policy. He is convinced that Croatia will receive EU funding for its further development.
The e-Admissions system for institutions of higher education proved its value for the fourth year in a row
The national system of admission to institutions of higher education, first launched and tested in 2009/2010, proved its value for the fourth year in a row: it is a system that fully connects all the information on prospective students and available programs, giving the students the opportunity to keep track of their results. From school grades to the state graduation exam results and opportunities for enrolment in higher education institutions anywhere in Croatia, students can follow all their progress on the hour from their computer screens.
With its clear rules, transparency, timely information and excellent functioning, the system puts all the prospective students in exactly the same position in the process of taking the state graduation exam, realistically choosing a course of study according to their abilities, and enrolling in higher education institutions.
Indeed, the only connection required for college admission is a good internet connection. Everything else is handled by the National Information System for Admissions to Higher Education Institutions for the fourth consecutive year.
E-ADMISSIONS 2013: Thousands of students
are the best proof of the readiness and quality of the systems
• 45,672 students applied for admissions to secondary schools
students could choose from ten programs in five schools and change their priorities - they have done so 2.5 million times - 90% of them enrolled in the schools they marked as their first priority
• 34,482 applicants took the state graduation exam and cumulatively wrote 139,887 exams
• in the summer enrolment period, 29,772 candidates were eligible for enrolment in higher education study programs